USEFUL LINKS AND RESOURCES
Scroll down to see
• Rewilding projects of interest
• Links to native species databases
• List of Invasive species and red list databases
• Links to other sites and articles of interest
Follow this link for A3 size downloadable JPGs or PDF to print your own 2 sided ARK poster!
We are the Ark is a grassroots movement to support the web of life. We are not a structured organisation and we do not claim to have all the answers. We ask that these downloads are ONLY used for personal use or to direct people to the website so that they can learn a little more about how nature needs our help and how we can all be part of the solution.
Rewilding projects of interest.
• Knepp estate in England
• Trees for life in Scotland
• Tompkins Conservation
• Wolf re-introduction Yellowstone Park USA
• Cambrian Wildwoods in Wales
• The Northern Jaguar Project in Mexico
• Revegetating the White River National Forest, Colorado
• Read about Summit 2 Sea in Wales – Rewilding Britain
Links to native species databases.
• Online Atlas of Irish & British Flora
• Plants of the world . KEW botanic gardens database
• Ireland native plant database
• Online database of UK native plants and animals through Your Postcode
• European vegetation survey
• Database of native flora UK
• Native plants Australia
• Native fauna of Australia
• The online world grass database. KEW botanical gardens.
• Plants for the Future A great database of 1000’s of temperate zone plants
• South African biodiversity database
• Native species New Zealand
• Native plants New Zealand
• U.S.A. native and naturalised plant database
• The PLANTS Database provides standardized information about the vascular plants, mosses, liverworts, hornworts, and lichens of the U.S. and its territories.
• Native vascular plants USA
• Native plants of North America
• North American Native Plant Society
• Native and naturalised species USA and Canada
• South Eastern Australia
• West African plants
List of Invasive species and red list databases.
• Invasive species Ireland
• Endangered species lists Ireland
• Global invasive species database
• Global red lists – endangered species worldwide
• Alien Invasive Species Inventories for Europe
• List of invasive species Asia
• Invasive species central Russia
• Central Africa invasive species lists
• Invasive species Australia
• Pacific Islands invasive species
• USA invasive plant atlas
• Centre for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health
• UK invasive species
• GeoCAT. GeoCAT is a web tool that harnesses primary biological data for semi-automated IUCN Red List assessment and analysis.
• Invasive plants from New Zealand into Europe
• The Rapid Decline of the Natural World is a Crisis Even Bigger Than Climate Change
• How to fight insectageddon with native plants
• Forest in a box Scheme
• Knepp Castle estate rewilding project – One of our favourite inspirations.
• Rewilding Britain. A great resource. Read about the amazing Summit to Sea project!
• All Ireland Pollinator Plan
• Self-Willed Land
• Global database of over 18,000 edible plants
• Plants for the Future – A great database of 1000’s of temperate zone plants and their attributes.
• Fire effects on plants USA
• Useful plants and fungii of the world (KEW)
• Medicinal plants of the world and their services
• Humanity has wiped out 60% of mammals, birds, fish and reptiles since 1970
• Humans just 0.01% of all life but have destroyed 83% of wild mammals
• Food forests Australia
• Food forest UK – The Agroforestry Research Trust – Martin Crawford’s inspirational place. Watch this National Geographic video about Martin’s forest garden “A forest garden with 500 edible plants could lead to a sustainable future”
• The Amazon is a food forest
• 20 Urban food forests from around the world
• Many species could be even more likely to go extinct than we realise
• Governments could take decades to save species. Here’s what you can do now.
• Why We Should Save The Last Tiny Scraps of Nature
• Native Plants Amazingly Resilient When Invasives Removed
• Half-Earth Project – share local species data
• Yards with Non-Native Plants Create Food Deserts for Bugs & Birds
• How spiders Increase Plant Diversity
• Back To The Wild: How “ungardening” Took Root In America
• The 3.5% Rule: How A Small Minority Can Change The World
• Rewilding Patagonia: Chile’s Great Conservation Leap Forward
• Lawns Are An Ecological Disaster
• ‘Alarming’ Extinction Threat to Europe’s Trees
• Quantifying the Impacts of Defaunation on Natural Forest Regeneration in a Global Meta-Analysis”
• Insect Diversity Decreases in Gardens with Non-Native Plants
• World Facing First Mass Extinction Since Dinosaurs as Wildlife Populations Plunge by 67 Percent in 50 Years
• CAP4NATURE – An Ecological Evidence Base to inform the Future of Common Agricultural Policy in Ireland
• How To Identify the UK’s 10 Most Common Birds
• Study Shows “Frightening” Decline of Insects & Spiders
• What Is Causing The Decline in Pollinating Insects?
• Host Plants for Butterflies in the UK
• Want To Be A Rewilder? Here’s How
• Here’s What Happens To Nature When Humans Get Out Of The Way
• Weaving Insect Wildlife Back Into the Tapestry of Life
Some open pollinated, heritage seed companies.
• Irish Seed savers
• Heirloom and open pollinated seed companies in Europe
• Tamar Organics
• The Organic Gardening Catalogue
• The Real Seed Company
• Vital Seeds
• Beans and herbs at The Herbary
• France – Association Kokopelli – Production of organic and biodynamic seeds
• The 10 best seed companies in USA for non GMO and heritage seed
• Irish bare root native trees and so much more – www.futureforests.ie
• Irish native wildflowers
If you prefer to read from paper/make notes, you can download & print the information from each page on the site. Double-sided if possible please!
Why Do We Need An Ark PDF
What is an Ark PDF
Aims of the Ark PDF
How To Build a Garden Ark PDF
How To Build an Ark – Instructions for Schools PDF
How To Build an Ark – For Public & Commercial Land PDF
Extra Activities for your Ark PDF
We are the Ark PDF